The opulent villa was built in 1540 by the Princes of Colonna Di Stigliano. It remained in their family until 1797 when it was sold to the Benedettini Priests of the Congregation Of Monte Vergine. In 1807 the order of Priests was abolished and the property was passed on to the Dukes of Lusciano until 1836, when the property was sold to the archaeologist Francesco Maria Avellino from whom the building now takes its name. The entire complex and grounds have been declared of environmental and cultural importance by the Ministry of Environment and Culture and so the complex has been placed under ‘conservation protection’.
It’s a very interesting building; in the grounds there is a Roman water tank which today is known as ‘Piscina Lusciano’ deriving from the name of the family Lusciano, mentioned previously.
The buidling has an 18th century structure built around a main courtyard with a backdrop of overlapping arches and a set of demi-columns situated on the ground floor. The main façade on Via Carlo Maria Rossini features a gateway with simple volcanic stone panelling (from Lazio). On the upper level there are seven successive balconies topped by alternating triangular tympanums and decorated frames. The ‘hanging garden’ lies on Roman era structures.